Spielberg No Motorcycle Lover

Saturday, July 31, 2010

I am a movie lover and grew up watching many of Steven Spielberg directed ones. "Jaws" prevented me from swimming in Ocean for very long time, ( I was a competitive swimmer when I was a kid so I could swim) "1941" nurtured my off-color sense of humor. The popularity of "E.T." made me rebel against majority. -I still haven't seen the movie.
Well, I enjoyed the hell out of Indy Jones series but I was bit upset about Spielberg's treatment toward motorcycles. Well, Indy series was more of cartoon than those serious films like Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's list, so the details did not matter that much but putting 1938 Nazis on 1977 Honda XL500S was too off to me. As you see, they cover the bike up with bunch of stuff but if you see them in action in the movie, it is pretty obvious that they are not BMW or possibly-confiscated-other-European-made-motorcycles. In the same movie, Henry and Indy were running away from those Nazis, riding 1988 Dnepr MT 11 with a sidecar which was supposed to be BMW R75. Well, the Dnepr is a copy of BMW just like Ural or Chang Jiang and at least it's got a boxer motor...
1977 Honda XL 500 S

The very sad 4th Indy Jones came out when I was already an adult with bunch of motorcycle knowledge, so when I saw brand new 2007 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Soft tail Springer Classic was used in a chase scene, I was quite sad. Maybe If I was a kid with full of potentials and dreams, I would not have thought much of it but as an old motorcycle enthusiast, seeing the twin cam head and front disc brake on a bike in supposedly the year of 1957, was little too much. As we all know, the first production bike with a disc brake was 1969 Honda CB750 four. The Halery they used, seems like they did very little to look like the one in 50's...
In the special feature of the movie, Spielberg talks about making the kid from "Even Steven" watch the movie "The Wild One" to prepare for the role of "Mutt", then goes on " I loved it when he appears on screen just like Marlon Brando did on a Harley..." Umm...Brando was riding a Triumph in the movie, Mr. Spielberg...

2007 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Softail Springer

In the recent news, it was reported that Mr. Spielberg was "so paranoid about security at his office, he keeps a never-used motorcycle permanently parked outside in case he needs to make a getaway"

Motorcycles are meant to be ridden to me...Never-used? Permanently parked outside? He should get a small tank instead of the poor bike. I bet he doesn't even know how to ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright 2011-2012 Raimu Keparat All Rights Reserved.
Template Design by Raimu Keparat | Published by Bloggers Templates | Powered by Blogger.com.